Toilet Leak Test
This is a very simple test using something you probably in your kitchen cabinets and will help to insure you aren’t letting your money flow down the drain. Typically a leaking toilet flapper can waste thousands of gallons per month which translates to around $2,000.00 per year in which I’m sure you could use on something a lot better than wasted water. Okay so let’s move on to this simple test.
- Grab the food coloring out of the cabinet and choose a color such as blue or red that will show up easily.
- Drop enough into your toilet tank to turn the water in the toilet tank that color.
- Wait 10-15 minutes without using this toilet and see if the water in the bowl is the same color.
- If the water in the bowl has turned that color then typically you need a new flapper in which you can pick up at your local home improvement store for around $5.00. Installing the new toilet flapper is relatively easy to do.
- If the new flapper doesn’t solve your problem then typically you will need a new toilet or a major tank rebuild but would recommend calling a professional plumber at this point to take care of this problem.